The subject of habits is a delicate one. We all have bad ones. We probably have a few good ones too, but when we think about our habits we are more apt to focus on our bad habits. Creating a set of good habits for your life is like setting down the right tracks for a train to run along. We need a pattern, a path to help our lives go where we want it to go. Forming good habits is the key to getting there. Unfortunately, good habits don’t create themselves. Being intentional and proactive are a vital part of the equation.
John Dryden wisely said, “We first make our habits, then our habits make us.”
To begin laying down the tracks for your own life, develop a small list of daily habits. That’s right, daily. This means you decide what things are vital and worth doing every single day. There are dozens you can choose from. This list is just the first place to start when thinking about the direction you want to begin steering your life. It’s a good idea to start by making a vision board of goals for each area of your life. Once you have done that, you can decide which habits you need to form in order to accomplish those goals!
Here are a list of 5 daily habits for you to consider adding to your daily routine:
- Exercise: The benefits of daily exercise are obvious. Your body is challenged and pushed to its limit. Your health is maintained, your mind is clearer and sharper, and you feel better about yourself. Exercising daily is a great way to accomplish long term goals.
- Reading and /or listening to motivational material: Keeping your mind and spirit focused is essential to seeing yourself reach your goals. Being inspired daily keeps that little flame burning. When we take the time to pause and reflect, we allow ourselves to recall where we came from, where we are headed and how we relate to the great big world around us. Inspirational reading helps us focus on our purpose in life and inspires us to make it happen.
- Reviewing your list of goals: Here at Make Great Days, we have shared several benefits to setting goals, and how to go about achieving them too! Having a list of short-term or 90-day goals helps you see the next step in your process and keeps you moving towards your long term goals.
- Writing a 2-minute to-do list: The to-do list may seem like an obvious factor in your day. So obvious that you may actually overlook it, or maybe you have it written in your head. Often times a to-do list gets so long that it loses its purpose in keeping us focused. Taking the time to create a fresh to-do list of what you intend to accomplish each day is a fruitful task.
- Preparing your items for tomorrow: By taking time today to prepare for tomorrow, you will stay one step ahead! Take 20 minutes at the end of each day to pack your lunch, gym bag, your clothes and anything you need for work. This simple routine is one of the secrets of the most successful people.
Forming good habits takes time and effort but produces great results. When it comes to achieving your habits, you don’t have to be perfect, just consistent. If you find yourself falling away from them, make a mid-course correction and get back to it. Laying down the tracks of good habits will change your life forever!