It has been said that “time is our greatest asset”. But, not all time is created equal. The quality of life we experience during the time we have makes a big difference. This is why our health is, in fact, our greatest asset. Unfortunately, most of us never really give it much thought unless get sick.
Life gets busy and health becomes secondary… out of sight out of mind. In order to maintain a high quality of life you need to know how to get healthy as well as how to maintain your health.
Here are 4 tips on how to
quickly increase your health today.
1. Hydrate: This is one of the quickest changes you can make to increase your health. Our bodies are %70 water, making it essential for survival. But we aren’t just trying to survive, we want to have a high quality of life. Therefore, drinking lots of water is very important.
- The average person should drink a MINIMUM of half their body weight in onces each day! If you weigh 150 pounds, that’s 75 ounces of water daily.
- Try adding a squeeze of lemon or lime for flavoring.
2. Regulate: As in the food you eat! This is another quick change you can make. Often times people say they eat fairly healthy yet still gain weight. Portion control is the culprit.
- Control your portion sizes: Eat slowly and when you feel full stop eating. This can dramatically impact your health.
- Eat a healthier diet: Are you eating enough vegetables and healthy proteins like lean beef, fish and chicken? The average diet is too high in carbohydrates and too low in fiber and protein, but fiber and protein help you burn fat and build muscle. Carbs are ok, but be sure to regulate how much you eat and balance it with veggies and protein.
3. Stimulate: The human body is a marvel! It was created for movement. Stimulating your body with more movement can do great things for your health, including jump starting your metabolism, and improving circulation and heart health!
- Consider walking more by parking further from stores or taking the stairs.
- Starting a basic exercise routine is another great way to stimulate the body and it can be done in as little as 15-20 minutes a day.
- Finally, you may want to start strength training. A strength training program isn’t just for body builders. builders. Even if you just want to be fit or toned, strength training is how you get there!
4. Recuperate:Finally, you need to consider your rest patterns.
- Are you getting enough sleep? Are you getting good quality sleep? Many health issues are related to insufficient sleep. Try to get a minimum of 8 hours sleep each night, in a dark, cool room.
- You may be able to function mentally on less sleep, but your body will suffer physically. Eight hours sleep is enough to refresh both the mind and the body, keeping you healthier and ready for each day.
When setting a goal, there is a lot of power in incremental change over time. You don’t have to make all of these changes at once. Try implementing one of them for two weeks. Make it part of your routine. Then, once you have some momentum, make another change. Before you know it, you’ll notice the changes in your health and you’ll be on the path to staying healthy for life!