In our recent post about creating a new family tradition by taking your family camping for Thanksgiving, we gave some great reasons why a camping trip could be just the thing your family needs to refocus! Once you’ve made your campsite reservation, you may be wondering, now what? Here are some creative ways to get your family talking around the campfire instead of “checking out” with their digital devices. Once you’ve rinsed out your delicious Thanksgiving turkey leg dinner dishes, gather everyone around the fire in their camp chairs and get the conversations started. If you haven’t had much time together lately, don’t be discouraged when the silence seems to linger. Everyone will warm up and you’ll be laughing soon enough.
Being intentional with the people we care about most is important and requires initiative on our part.
Planning a family camping trip is one step towards being intentional with your family. You may be very surprised at the answers you’ll hear to your campfire conversation starters. Some may be positive and funny. But, others may be a little hard to hear. Let those answers push you to make changes. See this as an investment that will pay high dividends. You may even want to take few notes on your family’s answers. Grab your marshmallow roasting stick and start the conversations around the campfire!
10 Great Campfire Conversation Starters.
- If I could be anything in life, I would be….. The Reason is….
- My dream house would be located in…..
- My dream house would look like…..
- I consider myself a beach girl/guy mountain girl/guy city girl/guy…..The Reason is….
- Depending on the age of your children. One childhood belief I struggled to give up was….. (Easter bunny, Santa and his elves..)
- What is one of your favorite family memories, and why?
- What is your favorite meal that your family makes? (Taco Tuesday….Sunday Soup night…)
- What is one family tradition you will carry over into your own family? Why?
- Three words I would use to describe myself are…
- Three words I wold use to describe our family are…..
Enjoy a new family tradition this Thanksgiving Season and take your loved ones camping! See what happens when you unplug from the digital world and reconnect with the people who matter most.